Here is the ethic of Jesus on sexuality as stated in the Bible. I say “the ethic of Jesus” because all of the Scripture, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, is from Jesus since He IS the word of God made flesh. Jesus is not silent on a thorough ethic of sexuality. I offer this today, Saturday July 10, 2021, because tomorrow my Sunday sermon will cover Proverbs chapter 5 on adultery. That chapter is part of the Jesus ethic on sexuality so I want to give you a fuller accounting of the rest of what the Bible has to say. I hope this is helpful. Please message me if you have any questions or would like to interact on this.
The Jesus ethic on sexuality:
Sexual contact or behavior is forbidden that involves:
- A close relative such as someone’s father, mother or step-mother, brother or sister whether step or half, daughter-in-law or son-in-law, mother-in-law or father-in-law, an aunt or uncle, sister-in-law or brother-in-law. (Leviticus 19 & 20)
- Anyone who is unmarried or married to someone else who is still living. (Leviticus 19 & 20)
- Anyone of the same gender as in a male with a male or female with a female. (Leviticus 19 & 20)
- Anyone other than the person one is married to. (Leviticus 19 & 20)
- Any non-human creature. (Leviticus 19 & 20)
- Cross-dressing or transgenderism. (Deuteronomy 22:5, Genesis 1:26-28)
- Lustful thoughts about a person. (Matthew 5:27-28) These should be understood to prohibit participation personally as well as by video, television, or the internet.
Sexuality is affirmed as:
- A reflection of the image of God. (Genesis 1:26-28)
- His purpose to fill the earth with human life. (Genesis 1:26-28)
- Very good. (Genesis 1:31)
- God’s gift of companionship and fulfillment. (Genesis 2:18)
- The closest, most intimate human relationship possible. (Genesis 2:24)
- The safest, most protected human relationship possible. (Genesis 2:24)
- Pure, safe, innocent, and completely shameless. (Genesis 2:25, Song of Solomon)
- A picture of the gospel where God’s Son lays down His life to love His bride. (Ephesians 5:22-25)
Sexuality within biblical marriage is a rich blessing from God:
- Leviticus 18:5 “if a person does them, he shall live by them”.
- James 1:17 “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights”.
- Proverbs 31 – celebrates a wife is treasured more than jewels.
- Proverbs 5:19-20 – intoxicating delight.
- Genesis 1:28 – the gift of children.
- Song of Solomon 1:2 – love that is better than wine.
- Song of Solomon 3:1 – the love of the soul.